Maths Vision Statement
Ensuring everyone counts!
At Camelford Primary School, we realise the importance of Mathematics as an important, everyday life skill. We understand that it is integral to all aspects of life and with this in mind, we endeavor to ensure that children develop a positive, enthusiastic and resilient attitude towards the subject that will stay with them for life.
At Camelford Primary, we want all children to consider themselves mathematicians and our mission is to:
- develop positive attitudes towards mathematics and give children a sense of achievement and enjoyment
- raise the children's confidence in order for them to develop persistence and perseverance to overcome difficulties in mathematics.
- stimulate a natural curiosity, to ask questions, explore patterns and explain their reasoning through discussion with maths partners or groups.
- raise children’s self esteem and give them the tools to become independent, confident and logical thinkers.
- develop a secure understanding of methods for calculating the four operations, which follows our calculation policy
- ensure children have an efficient range of strategies to solve mental calculations
We want all children to benefit from an exciting, balanced and inclusive maths curriculum and understand that this is key to ensuring that each child reaches their full potential. In order to achieve this, we make the most of the resources available including I.C.T and the outdoor learning space. As well as this, we make lessons relevant and meaningful through links to other areas of the curriculum and everyday life. This helps to ensure children understand how Maths relates to the wider world.
The movement towards achieving our vision includes the assessment of children’s progress: ensuring that it is carefully monitored and celebrated. This aids us in measuring the impact and quality of the provision within our school.
As a result of this, we strive to develop the whole child as a life-long learner and competent mathematician.